Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Technology Tidbit Tuesday-Socrative

I have slacked the last couple weeks, actually, not slacked but enjoyed my Summer! I love Summer and I love time to myself, and I love spending time with my little boy and husband. So really, I haven't slacked I just remembered what's important :) Anyway, it's time for a new post. Before school starts I wanted to share a website and App that I started using last year in my classroom called Socrative. There are some really awesome features with this app and website and I don't even know where to begin...
First, it's a site where you can create online quizzes either saved or not. Students will use your room number (you get a "room number" when you create an account) and join your class. They can take assigned tests/quizzes/exit tickets or you can do a group quiz for feedback and have the answers show up on your projector. If you choose the group quiz students won't put their names in so it is anonymous. My students like this type of survey, it was quick, easy and fun. You have the option for multiple choice, true/false, and short answer questions. The app is great because you can control the quizzes from your phone if you don't have a smart board or want to be stuck at your computer.
Second, if students take a test that is not anonymous, you can download their scores from the website in excel or a Google document. Easy Peasy grading! You have to put the quiz or test in, as well as the answers but once it is done, it is done for good. There is also an option to share test and quizzes with other teachers so you can look up already created assignments.
Third, another reason I love this site is because it is SUPER SIMPLE. The kids can login in quickly and you can see results in seconds. It's also very engaging for the students.
I have access to many computers in my room, however if you have ipods, ipads, cell phones, downloading an app works just as well too! Quizzes could also be done during your computer lab time if necessary.
Check the site out, it is well worth your time. I am always looking at ways to trim my grading time and this is one way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment